Monday, December 5, 2011

December Goal: causing me to sweat uncomfortably

I found myself in uncharted waters this morning. Lost and confused, I wandered aimlessly down the aisles. I felt the other shoppers glaring - judging me - knowing that I was not one of "them." I'm quite certain that the entire store snickered as I stopped to ask for directions. With my awkward thumbs and complete absence of artistic talent, it was apparent that I did not belong. I was in Michaels. Specifically, I was searching for the wool aisle in Michaels...which leads me to my December goal.

I am super excited about this month's challenge for 3 main reasons:
1) It involves 2 of my most favoritest people in the whole world (I'm well aware that this is grammatically inaccurate; however, I feel the need to emphasize this point with excessive superlatives). These 2 fantastic people are my best friend, Janna and my Grandma, Ivy.
2) This is something I would NEVER have chosen to do on my own. This is not my "thing." This is completely outside of my skill set.
3) Ryan would definitely dig this.

with our moms at Janna's wedding: "OMG, your hubby is totally into you!"
First, let me introduce you to my best friend, Janna. I met Janna for the first time in kindergarten. We hit it off and I took her home with me. Literally. There was a misunderstanding and some bad 5 year old lying, but to make a long story short, Janna's parents did not know where she was, freaked out,  and her face just about made the milk carton. It's all good now. Janna and I have basically grown up together. We've shared every monumental life experience together. From my awkward "chubby" stage to my first phone call to Evan (Janna dialed, squealed, "Tell him you like him!", threw the phone at me as I dropped it on the floor, screaming. Needless to say, Evan hung up) to University life (we lived together in a great party pad) to our wedding days, we have been with each other through it all. Janna "knows" me. I don't know what I'd do without her. Here's the kicker: Janna's about to enter a completely new and exciting phase in her life - she's about to become a mom! I still can't believe it. Like everything else in Janna's life, I just know that she's going to rise to the occasion and be a spectacular (but very cool) parent.

Now let me introduce you to my Grandma (don't worry, Baba, you're in my April goal - love ya!). Grandma and I also go waaaay back. I lunched daily with Grandma and Grandpa in my elementary school days. I would arrive at their house, chow down on grilled cheese, whole milk, and pudding with cream and sprinkles on top, whilst watching the "Flinstones," then roll my tubby little self back to school (that was the awkward chubby phase to which I alluded to). Grandma is the perfect mix of "traditional" Grandma and modern "golden girl." Grandma will whip up a batch of cookies, check her facebook page, crochet an afghan, and invite her aesthetician over for her eyebrow waxing. She's awesome. We lost Grandpa to cancer in 2006. Grandma and Grandpa were such a fantastic couple. They had so much fun together. Grandpa loved to tease Grandma (and all of us kids). When Grandma would veer off-topic during one of her elaborate stories, Grandpa would grab the channel changer, point it at Grandma and say, "Fast forward Ivy!" causing Grandma to giggle flirtatiously and eventually complete the story :). I know that not a day goes by that Grandma doesn't miss Grandpa. But Grandma doesn't dwell on it, she has remained positive, embracing life, keeping busy by spoiling and loving her friends and family. I admire her. And...Grandma is the baby expert.
I'll just whip up some biscuits before I change my facebook status

So, let me put this all together for you. I want to make something special for Janna and her new baby. I want Grandma to help me. So for the month of December, with the help/guidance of my Grandma, I will be crocheting an afghan for Janna's baby!

I know I know. I can hear you all laughing. Kirstie? Make a baby blanket? I've never been the "crafty" one, avoiding scrapbook-making (hello? can you say photo album?), cake decorating (that's what the Safeway bakery is for), and scarf knitting (booooring). It just doesn't turn my crank. But that's what this year's all about - stepping outside of my comfort zone and trying new things. The Michael's experience was daunting. I mean, send me to the liquor store to select a fabulous South African wine, but do not expect to navigate the wool aisle at a craft store. But...I did it. "Baby" steps (lame :)  I selected some fantastic spools clumps balls of wool for this fabulous baby blanket which I am about to create.

Finally, I know Ryan would totally dig this. Not because he was super into afghans or babies (although, he definitely expressed an interest in having kids someday - little "buddies"). Ryan would be stoked that I'm sharing the experience with my Grandma. Ryan's Grandpa Holowaty lived a few doors down from us at the lake. Ryan was always over at his Grandpa's helping and hanging out. His Grandpa was a war veteran and every year Ryan made an effort to be with his Grandpa (in uniform) during the Remembrance Day Service. Ryan loved and respected both of his Grandpas and it was apparent in his conversations that he really enjoyed the time that he was able to spend with them. I realize at age 32 how lucky I am to have a healthy, happy Grandma who's willing to share her area of expertise with me!

"Wait a minute. I'm confused. Am I involved in any way?"
So away I go. Sweating nervously, with my balls of wool and crochet sticks needles hooks in hand, I am ready to enter the uncharted territory of baby-blanket making. READ: NOT baby-making...baby BLANKET making. There's a big difference there.

3 comments:

  1. As i read this i am nice and cozy under an afghan my Oma made me. She even sewed on a little patch that says "made with love by grandma"
    A worthy challenge this month Kirsty, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Kirstie! Good luck on the blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to hear the news about Janna! And, I'm totally with you on the whole Michael's thing. I think we could have a contest for "the least crafty/creative person". :)

    ReplyDelete