Monday, March 26, 2012

Like Flashdance but better

This is it. We leave tomorrow. Our wakesurfing lessons begin on Wednesday. Did I happen to mention that our wakesurfing lessons are with the 6 time world wakesurfing champion? Incredible. I'm so excited that I'm having a hard time sleeping. Last night I laid awake at 3am, mind busied by random thoughts: What if we miss our connection in Minneappolis? What if I'm starstruck by Drew and am reduced to squealing and screaming like a Bieber fan or a Belieber or whatever they are called? What if that alligator gets my dominant wakesurfing leg? I need that leg. What if I forget how to wakesurf and Drew has to spend 2 days teaching me how to stand on the board? What if this is a big joke and Drew doesn't actually show? AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!! Go to sleep!

I feel as though I've prepared myself as much as I possibly can. I stuck to my training regime for the entire month, participating in at least 3 crossfit workouts a week, spending countless hours on my indo board, longboarding down the rotary trail whenever possible (snow this week interfering -but we all know that Mother nature is a biatch), watching multiple wakesurfing videos of the pros and the amateurs, eating as "clean" as I possibly could bear, stretching every spare moment I had, and visualizing pure awesomeness in my shower. I even went for a few runs outside. This is huge. I hate running. I run like a fat kid. Running hurts. I only run when chased by bad men - so this was a big one.
This is me running. For real.

To celebrate the end of the month and our upcoming lessons in Florida, I've created a photo/video montage. I've always been inspired by the movies where the main character is training for a big sports event or dance competition and approximately 5-8 minutes of the movie are dedicated to a montage of the training. I could be laying on the couch, hand in a bowl of popcorn, and when that training video montage appears, I have the sudden urge to start doing push-ups. And it's a sure thing -  if there's a training video montage, the character will, in fact, win whatever event he/she is training for. It's an unwritten movie rule. Case in point, Flashdance. As Alex sweated profusely (yet attractively) in her sweatband and leg warmers, there was no doubt that she would make the cut while she was "dancin' for her life." In Dirty Dancing, "Baby" went from clutzy rookie to sexy pro dancer in her 5 minute video montage, whilst managing to capture the heart of the Swayze (RIP Patrick). And who could forget Rocky? Actually, I can't quite remember how it ended, but I do know that he ran up and down those steps which completely prepared him for the fight of his life.

Here's my wakesurfing training video montage. I am so pumped. So unbelievably pumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment